It is inevitable that you will make a grand entrance into your ceremony and reception. But don’t just stop there – use up all of those special moments to celebrate and shine on your wedding day with a wedding sendoff! A wedding sendoff is a great way to add a little extra spectacle to your day.
Your wedding sendoff can be subtle and sweet, or dramatic and grand. Either way, these make for amazing moments for you, your groom, and your guests!
Below we’re sharing some wedding sendoff ideas for your ceremony and reception:
Wedding Sendoff Ideas | Ceremony
- Bagpipes – If you have never been to a wedding that uses bagpipes to commence a ceremony exit, trust us, it is nothing short of amazing. Traditionally, following the pronouncement of husband and wife, the bagpiper leads the newlyweds and guests out of the ceremony as the space fills with booming, Celtic music.
- Second Line – We love a New Orleans style wedding sendoff. This is a parade that includes the newlyweds, guests, and a brass band. The band escorts everyone from the ceremony to the reception. Have a reception venue that is walkable to your ceremony? This wedding sendoff is for you!
- Noisemakers, bells – Many ceremonies are full of peaceful, sweet moments. The end of the ceremony marks the start of the major celebration portion of your day. Kick it off by handing out noisemakers or bells to your guests so they can usher you into the next phase of the wedding.
- Petals, confetti cannons, ribbons/streamers – Whether you opt for real petals from your florist or ribbon wands with bells, any of these items can come in a variety of shapes and colors to fit seamlessly to your wedding aesthetic. Let the church bells roar as guests wave you through a tunnel of beauty.
- Vintage car – You can never go wrong with a classic getaway car. It doubles as a beautiful exit and a moment to celebrate just you and your new husband. It is hard to sneak a few minutes of alone time during your wedding but this wedding sendoff is the perfect departure.
- Smoke bomb – Looking for drama? These are a great place to start. You can pick from a plethora of colors. Enlist your photographer for the setup options for the strongest impact with the smoke.
Wedding Sendoff Ideas | Reception
- Unconventional vehicle – Pick a getaway vehicle that aligns with your wedding venue or your personal hobbies. Some ideas: motorcycle, canoe or gondola, carriage, tandem bicycle, golf cart, horse, small boat, vintage VW bus. The options are endless!
- Sparklers – We hear you, you have seen the sparklers done over and over again BUT there is a reason this trend is still going strong. It is such a breathtaking moment and photo opportunity. One tip – make sure your photographer and/or videographer are contracted until the end of the night to capture this wedding sendoff in all of its splendor.
- Lanterns – Sky lanterns are a great alternative to sparklers. They still give you that illumination at the end of the night but can allow guests to get a little more involved. Turn these into wish lanterns and encourage guests to write a wish for the newlyweds and send the lanterns off into the sky as you take your final sendoff.
- Fireworks – Given the right venue and space this is a spectacular exit to surprise guests with!
- LED balloons – Use the whimsy of balloons but keep them white and lit for a classic feel. These LED balloons can be anchored and line your path along with the guests as you exit your reception.
- Last Dance – Maybe your venue or weather will not allow for an outdoor exit like the ones listed above, but don’t let that deter you from the sendoff of your dreams. Consider doing a last dance. Have your band or DJ ask all guests to surround you on the dance floor and dance together as husband and wife just as you did for your first dance. Still want that dramatic light element? Hand out candles, glow batons or fiber optic wands.