One of the questions we often get is “What exactly is a Day of Wedding Coordinator?” I love this question because it’s an opportunity for me to really express the importance of what we do, and why we do it!
An often misunderstood concept, a Day of Coordinator can be a life-saver for couples who don’t have the budget for a full-service wedding planner; couples who thought they could do it alone and then realize closer to the wedding that they do indeed need someone; and couples who actually manage to plan it all on their own, but then wisely recognize that they shouldn’t leave the day-of nitty gritty in the hands of their mom, maid of honor, or even a close family friend. Remember, your family and friends are your guests too, and you want them to be able to relax and enjoy your wedding right alongside you!
To shed some light on what a Day of Wedding Coordinator really means for a couple, I am sharing a little insight into some common questions we get:
1. What exactly is a Day of Wedding Coordinator? As a Day of Coordinator, we do just that. We coordinate the details and logistics of your wedding day to make sure that everything you’ve spent months planning is executed exactly how you’ve envisioned it to be.
2. Do Day of Coordinator’s really just show up on the day of? If you hire a professional to execute your wedding day, you will quickly realize they do not just show up on the day of your wedding able to manage and execute your ideas flawlessly without any prior meetings, site visits, or communication with your vendors. There is still a lot of work that goes in behind the scenes ahead of time – from multiple consultations with the couple, timeline creation and site visits, to vendor communication, working through all your details, devising a game plan for the day of and much more!
3. What kind of couple should consider hiring a Day of Wedding Coordinator? This may sound biased, but I strongly recommend that every couple planning their own wedding hire a Day of Coordinator at the very least. If not a partial or full-service Wedding Planner. Planning your entire wedding without a coordinator is already stressful enough, so the least you can do is hire someone who can handle the stress of the day. Your peace of mind (and your mom’s) on your wedding day will be the best gift you give yourself. And worth every penny, trust me!
4. What kinds of tasks should a couple expect from a Day of Coordinator? Each coordinator is different, but depending on your arrangement they will meet with you on multiple occasions, do a site visit, and discuss all of the details you have planned, to get an idea of how you envision the space on your wedding day. He or she will review contracts and reach out to vendors. They will create your day of timeline, which will break down all the details regarding arrival times, setup and breakdown, where the bridal party is at all times throughout the day, photo timing, formalities, and more. Then on the day of, your coordinator will be there to actually see it all through, manage vendors and décor setup, and keep the day according to schedule throughout the entire evening. For a more detailed list of tasks a Day of Coordinator may handle leading up to and on the day of your wedding, we’ve covered these on our What We Do page!
5. Is it necessary to hire a Day of Coordinator if my venue comes with a Venue Coordinator? Again, I may sound biased, but yes I do believe it is in your best interest to have a Day of Coordinator in addition to any venue personnel that may be onsite the day of your wedding. Although the roles may sound similar to each other, be aware; it is not exactly the same. While Venue Coordinators can be extremely valuable and helpful on the day of (we love our Venue Coordinators!!), they often do not spend as much time focusing on the nitty gritty of your details as a Day of Coordinator or full-service Wedding Planner would. It’s important that you identify exactly what your needs will be both leading up to and on the wedding day, and know ahead of time exactly what your Venue Coordinator is willing and able to do.
6. What is the biggest myth about Day of Wedding Coordinators? That you don’t need one.
At the end of the day, a Day of Coordinator or Wedding Planner isn’t for everyone and doesn’t always fit into every budget. We get that. But I would encourage couples to at least consider the idea and think about what’s most important to them on their wedding day. Do you want to worry about #allthethings that need to be done? Or would you rather be able to soak in every second of this special day that will already fly by in the blink of an eye?
I hope this gives a little insight into what a Day of Wedding Coordinator really does and provides you with a little more knowledge on how beneficial a DOC could be for your wedding day!
Images by Lemongrass Photography